View Single Post
Old 06-02-23, 04:54
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- Instrument Cluster refurbish

I started to work on remounting the fascia to the instrument cluster.

Couple of interesting points came up. The previous owner who broke off the tabs on the cluster case to remove the bezel, luckily for me, broke off the top tabs. There is a lot more room for screws and nuts to clear the gauges at the top of the cluster than at the bottom. Something to remember if removing the bezel.

This allowed me to use screws through the tab holes and just a small groove filed in the bezel was needed for clearance for the screw.

Some old computer screws that I had salvaged just fit the bill. The heads are not too thick to hold the cluster too far off the instrument panel and their small size kept modifications to the bezel to the minimum. The long nut came in handy in the tight location to fit to the screw.

Now to work on the gasket between the glass and the bezel. I am guessing based on the old remnant that it was a moulded rubber seal conforming to the shape of the bezel. A uniform strip of rubber would not have the backing at the sides to make a tight seal. Cannot find any suppliers of an original style one so a bit of packing will be required at the sides to bring it up to a uniform level for a strip of rubber.

Using the old, hacked fascia to test fit everything. No use risk scratching the restored one until final assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0264.JPG   IMG_0259.JPG   IMG_0046.JPG  

Jacques Reed