View Single Post
Old 30-10-17, 16:30

Interesting stuff Bob! Thanks; the changes to the cross members and routing of the brake lines was certainly new to me.
I just checked and just like Mike's C8, my C8 also has the early crossmember, without the reinforcement.
The door hooks on my C8 certainly could have been done as a retro-fit or maybe by hand on the production line, as the inner two eyelets are postioned on different heights. The outer ones seem to be pretty much level.
The cutout in the cab rear wall on my truck was again presumably done retro-fit, or done in production when switching to the new rear wall with cutouts.....as in my case the cutout interferes with the bolt holes, and new holes were drilled further towards the cab rear wall. (I mean the cut shows the remains of the original bolt holes)

To add to the discussion:
The january 1941 parts catalogue lists the "Hook, door hold open" for all CMP's in the series.
It lists the "strap door check" with the comment "British Army Only"
The grille is listed with a Ford as well as a Chev part number; I think the diagonal "Chev" mesh didn't appear before cab 12 introduction(?).
The "reinforcement, floor plate corner" is also listed for all CMP's in the series.

Regarding the central dash light...my conclusion is a bit different; I think they were fitted to cab 11 C8's and at least some Cab 11 C15's. Cab 12 C8's didn't seem to have them fitted.
I think I can see the remains of the dash light on the C8 in your picture in the very centre of the dash. The hole for the vacuum line for the wipers is positioned on top of the angle iron.

In my opinion not all trucks that went overseas were fitted with front fender marker lights.....rear axle lamp maybe, but not the front marker lights. There are several pictures around of Cab11/12 trucks in the UK, Italian campaign and even Holland without any fender marker lights. (two pictures attached from the "early CMP's in NW Europe thread").

Another subject of interest to C8 owners....early C8's had only one set of Rubbolite lamps at the rear...while later ones had lights both left and right.

Alex

Click image for larger version

Name:	1428914486.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	95200
Source: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/at...8&d=1428914486

Click image for larger version

Name:	The_British_Army_in_North-west_Europe_1944-45_B13120.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	95199
Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-45_B13120.jpg

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 30-10-17 at 17:23. Reason: attached pictures rather than links