View Single Post
Old 02-11-17, 18:13

Default Back wall cutout.....

Hi Alex

All the cut out areas I have seen on cab 12 DO NOT have evidence of previous bolt holes and since only one side was done on your truck is was certainly done after factory assembly....by who remains the question.

Parts interchange between cab 11 and 12 or 12 to fit an 11 is relatively simple.
I have used cab 12 parts in the rebuild of my cab 11 and bolt hole do line up.
I substituted the whole air vent assembly on each side of the rad from a cab 12 that was in better shape than my cab 11 which had been heavily welded. I had to remove the cab 12 hood alignment pin and install one captive nut which was needed for the cab 11. I also installed the inner radiator bar (a repro copied from a cab 12) to stiffen up the nose section.

Now when I say the bolt holes all lined up....... by this I mean no worst than the original which had to be pulled and stretched with pry pins but then that is typical of all cab 11 and 12.

Note..... an addition to the previous email about model differences.....
the early cab 11 did not have the radiator expansion tanks and the nose sheet metal was not drilled for the bolts or the tube. All cab 12 I have are drilled for the tank. Since I considered the expansion tank worthwhile, I managed to squeeze one fully hidden inside the engine compartment using a tall slender stainless steel tank intended for hot rods which I bolted to the radiator frame mounting....... I sandblasted the tank to a matt finish and painted it OD.

Cheers

Alex ..... engine access is always a problem even with the cab 12...... in active service, particularly in North Africa numerous photographs show the vehicles being driven WITHOUT an engine cover, or doors or roof or windshield........ as long as it ran......... another thing I have observed is that many trucks photographed in North Africa, regardless of the model, have long filler tubes to the gas tanks..... at least longer than original configuration..... and I have assumed that the impracticality of the short factory fuel spout was a nightmare when it came to filling up from the POW tanks or flimsies.
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 02-11-17 at 18:22.