View Single Post
Old 27-08-17, 02:05

I suppose it all depends on your instructions to the reconditioner Mike. He may have just taken you literally? However, I would take the block back to your reconditioner and shove it up his "A..e". To have been told it was dipped and to have a block reconditioned with cracks without even communication with you is poor form indeed.

The local Engine Reconditioner here in town has just finished my B60 and I have done just on 3000K's on the reco motor.

I had the B60 engine dismantled, over hauled, including the block being pressure cleaned (could not put the block in the dipping tanks due to the amount of Alloy components in the block which will just disappear in the solution).

Upon inspection it required three cylinders to be machined and sleeves fitted (B60 never had sleeves) 6 x .020" oversizes pistons fitted, cylinder head machined down .090" and recondition with four inlet valves being replaced. Even took the time to recalculate the compression ratios to ensure I could run on the higher octane unleaded fuels.

Engine reassembled, painted, and, loaded into my trailer. Took the local bloke 6 weeks and it started first piston up. A great job seeing the complexity of a Rolls Royce engine compared to the stock standard engine. I supplied the VRS gasket overhaul kit, NOS valves, NOS piston and ring sets and the paint, all up it cost me just on $7200

If you want PM me and I will pass on the name of my local bloke in Seymour. He has so much work that at a minimum you will be waiting 6 to 8 weeks.

Hang in there Mike, it is disappointing when this occurs and can make some just walk away from their restoration.

Cheers,

Dave.
1 x 1945 FMC 1/4 Ton Trailer (restored)
1 x 1942 Bantam 1/4 Ton Trailer (restored)