View Single Post
Old 05-11-17, 18:54

Hi all,
Bit of an update on progress, the engine has been stripped and will require a full rebuild, unfortunately the old girl has received no basic maintenance, the crank will require a regrind, the bores will need a rebore plus new camshaft bearings will need to be fitted, hopefully we will be able to source the required parts. I dont think the engine has seen antifreeze judging by the amount of rusty crud we have removed so far. The water distribution tube had all but dissolved, thankfully we managed to remove the rusty material with some prodding and poking with various implements, combined with me turning the engine on its end lifting it up and down banging the block onto a lump of wood to dislodge the offending crud, as can be seen in the pictures. Thanks to Jerry for his assistance this morning and to Howard for allowing us to disturb his Sunday morning. I am considering giving the engine block the 'Mollases' treatment to help remove the remaining rust, have any of you tried this method?
The chassis is now coated in a gloss sand ready for 'flattening' before the final matt finish is applied. the chassis needs extending by approx 25" to replace the sections cut off for the tipping conversion (thanks Tom for measuring your truck). The last picture shows a rear pintle hook layout, does anyone know where I may be able to source these items? I can 'get away' with just the two brackets which the spring fits into, I can get a spring manufactured to suit.
I am now in the process of stripping down the rear springs ready to be cleaned and painted, it has been suggested that I grease the leaves to improve the ride being as I wont be carrying any great weight around, I would then cover them with Denso tape to keep the elements out (mainly grit) your views on that method?
I have ordered the material from our local forge to make the replacement cupola for the roof, I will post some pictures of that as it progresses.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Engine strip down 2 showing rust from water tube.jpg   Water Tube Crud From Removal.jpg   Dodge Chassis 2.jpg   Rear pintle hook layout 3.JPG