View Single Post
Old 10-07-18, 09:47
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default pistons

The ongoing saga of the engine rebuild: I've discovered another engine machinist down here in Morwell, they are one of the last few engine rebuilders still going down this way.

Ive decided to go back to the original engine that was factory fitted in the CS8 and rebuild it. I recently bought set of .040 oversize pistons ( these are rare as rocking horse poo ) from a UK seller . These are aftermarket pistons probably made in the 1950's . Problem is the rings are corroded slightly , they are 1/8" compression rings and a 3/16" scraper.

The Morris standard bore is 82mm , I worked out 3.25" + 20 thou is equal to 82mm + 40 thou , close enough. I can buy a Hastings ring set for a Hercules engine with the same ring dimensions as the Morris BUT the Hercules rings are too wide , the Morris ring grooves are very shallow ie the depth , I would have to machine the Hercules rings thinner . Or deepen the piston grooves which is risky , these are heavy cast alloy pistons and the piston tops might break off under the immense stresses
Attached Thumbnails
morrpist1.jpg   morrpist2.jpg   morrpist3.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 10-07-18 at 09:59.