View Single Post
Old 06-02-17, 15:56
Terry Warner

Default Camouflage combat pants

"Never attribute to conspiracy what incompetence can explain," to paraphrase a Cold War era Russian spy handler.

The colour changes look too closely matched for me to believe the fabric was sewn that way on purpose. Having observed a number of different nations' camouflage uniforms, there is never any attempt to match edges or carry over patterns. In fact, doing so would make the purpose of the clever design less effective. I agree that bleach in the wash caused this accidentally effective pattern.

To answer your higher level question about Canadian camouflage uniforms, no. The WW2 Denison smocks were the height of fashion amongst senior officers who wanted to look like parachutists or snipers. The Canadian Airborne Regiment smocks appeared in the 1970s, but were only one garment. The rest of the soldier's uniform was conventional olive green. Sometime in the 80's there was an attempt to trial the same colour scheme in shirts and pants. I believe when the trials were cancelled, a few pairs were never returned (see my comment about high Look Cool Factor - LCF) and whatever was leftover was sold to Tanzania! The Garrison Dress smocks were next and shortlived. CADPAT has been the current fabric since just before Afghanistan. The no-nametag folks in Special Forces wear a variety of Crye-brand MULTICAM pattern uniforms to sustain their LCF.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!