View Single Post
Old 18-02-20, 11:52

Default Canadian Bofors gun emplacement with Radar trailer

Another gem turned up about two years ago while out on the mountain bike. I came across the remains of a old concrete bunker type emplacement in the woods that was part of REME Bordon camp in Hampshire which was out of civilian hands going back long before WW2. Now managed by the council as the army pull out of Bordon i had the chance to look over the area. As well as finding this emplacement which turns out to be used for a Bofors gun, i also found fifty yards away a derelict wreck that turns out to be a radar truck. This wreck has been in the woods for many years recalled by many as being there as far back during the early 1950s. The Canadians were based in Bordon with their base workshops which just about still remain until about 1948 when they were taken over by SEME REME. The Canadians during WW2 manned all the AA installations in the area which covered Longmoor camp and its military railway. Finding a bit of equipment near a bunker emplacement of any type is quite rare especially after 75 years. If it was council owned land it would have been destroyed years ago. I have managed to get the radar trailer fenced off and maybe some work carried out on the emplacement to remove a tree or two that is growing near by who's roots would damage the structure. To add to the site, last year a German Bomb was discovered about 200 yards from the radar truck when workmen were digging drainage near the area. Although no account of the emplacement in action Bordon and the camp was bombed, just waiting for the AA crew to show up next. I believe the radar trailer is a No3 Mk2. I have seen one on the UK military vehicle circuit in a yard somewhere in much better condition.
Attached Thumbnails
9119D849-B8DF-4679-AEF2-D5B8A99D577C.jpg   AF95EFB9-1B1F-4416-BA22-4E6F1FC85ABC.jpg   D3745B1B-BDB0-4AF9-A0C4-8A90F1EAF720.jpg   A544D3F8-C962-47AE-BEC2-97A5B9EB63A6.jpg   3F80AD04-2B53-44A8-AAEA-235249C13169.jpg