Thread: How To: C15a Wire-3 restoration
View Single Post
Old 02-07-20, 04:22
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
don't let coming home on the hook discourage you. I've come home on a hook three times, actually one of those was to the destination where i fixed the contamination. The fan can overpower the belt, 6 blades moving a lot of air and if you are over 30mph we are past it's design speed. I use a 5/8 belt reasonably tight. the belt tension is a regular maintanence check item
Back in the day I blew the transmission on my 60cwt Chev Machinery I (the one now at the Oshawa museum) in Arthur. Left it there and drove up the following weekend with a spare transmission. Installed it using my knee as the transmission jack. Got about 200 mosquito bites because both hands and my knee were busy aligning the splines on transmission shaft to the clutch. Drove it back to Scarborough. True story, I have photographs and witnesses.

Fast forward to yesterday.

My wife rented a car (VW Golf) and because of the two driver jockey dance she had me drive it home. Then in the middle of nowhere doing 115km/hr on the 401 bang woppa woppa woppa and a violent pulling to the left narrowly missing a car in the fast lane. Got well off on the shoulder to find the front right tire disintegrated. No problemo...there was a fully inflated donut in the back. Jack there too, but no wheel wrench. So I call the 1-800 'save me' number explaining the problem and my location to two different foreign call centres, and then a third time to the local contracted tow truck service. The tow truck dispatcher informed me I would have to find my own way home from the side of the highway because of covid social distancing rules. So there I am, a grown man broken down on the side of the highway unable to fix a simple flat. No matter, 3 hours later the defective VW was returned to the rental car place and because of all my trouble they upgraded the rental car my wife is now driving in comfort.