Thread: Comox
View Single Post
Old 15-11-16, 22:24

Default Remembrance Day 16

I was in Vancouver on Remembrance Day 16.

Went to the downtown ceremony on the advice of friend Harry Moon because it was the closest one to the ferry and time was of the essence...

After the officials in attendance went away , the public was invited to present their poppies on the monument as a mark of personal respect for our fallen.

Did as invited and thought of the friends and comrades who had lost their lives , their physical or mental health while performing their duties for Canada.

A stranger put his hand on my shoulder and said thanks for your service Sir. It felt good to be encouraged by someone who appreciated .

Then I was invited to a party at the renovated Seaforth's Highlanders of Canada Armoury over on Burrard St. and was received like a long lost friend although I was a complete stranger to them .

There I met the son of my personal hero : General Bertram Hoffmeister . I could not believe the luck I had to meet with him. Thank you CO of the Seaforths ! So happens that the General's son is their honorary LCol.

Long story short , I used Gen Hoffmeister's wartime career as a subject for my leadership essay at JCSP Toronto ( Staff College ) 3 years ago. that's how I got to know about the illustrious wartime career of this Citizen soldier reservist. He was a Captain in a militia unit ( Seaforths H .) at the beginning of the war and retired in 1946 as a Major General.

Anyway, drank a few with the boys in the Mess , forgot about the world's and my own troubles for a few hours and made my way to my hotel . I had to work early the next morning.

Thank-you for your hospitality Vancouver !

Long live the Highlanders !
Attached Thumbnails
Remembrance Day 16.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 17-11-16 at 01:48.