View Single Post
Old 02-10-14, 21:38

Default C8a HUW accident damage

Phil

I haven't checked the body mounts, but will after we complete work planned for the coming weekend.

I've opened the bonnet (hood) and the rad is wrapped around the fan blades/water pump. The top tank looks good. I'll see the lower tank situation at the w/e alongwith the bottom pulley situation. At this stage the engine does not appear to have shifted.

It's '43 HUW and has two central doors (pre-dating the spare wheel variant). The B posts have both been slightly pushed by the doors distorting at the striker plate. We can pull both b posts out without too much difficulty.

The front door inner panels have both de-formed. We will remove the outer skin (which is OK) and correct the inner panel deformation and refit. The critical alignment therefore will be those angles you're looking into around the A posts.

This w/e we'll remove the front panel assy and probably remove the radiator. We can then look at the remaining issues of body mounts, engine movement etc.

Of the nudge bar mounting bolts (which were modern metric) all but one sheared, resulting in the bumper drooping to one side and deforming the chassis rail as it twisted downwards.

I'll send you some pics once we've got the front panel off. The front panel will be rebuilt with new sheet metal and re-aligned angle iron framework. Mercifully one of our group is a retired blacksmith/welder of great skill & experience and can work miracles. The radiator will be replaced/rebuilt.

So as you can see I have a project for next winter!

Jerry