Thread: Heads Up: Sherman for sale
View Single Post
Old 11-05-15, 14:20

Default Another tale...

I can also add a small historical tidbit .. I was working for one of our fellow club members driving MVs on a movie job in Beeton. War of the Worlds, I think it was called. During one evening shoot an invasion of soldiers on a variety of trucks followed a Sherman ( this sherman) into town to fight the nasty, slime covered aliens. Before the night scene ever began a certain notoriety had descended on the tank owner and operator as they had managed to flatten a town sign as they unloaded the Sherman from its flatdeck. You may recall that the late owner had significant vision difficulties! Later as the action scene ensued large numbers of extras and truck drivers, traveling behind the Sherman as it "rocketed" into town became aware of the noxious effect of diesel fumes as clouds of it filled our lungs and eyes as we took our assigned positions behind the advancing beast! I recall there was yet another finale as the tank was instructed to turn to the right at a cross street so the troops could advance past it - and I recall that as that turn was made at relatively high speed ( relatively) the right track struck the curb at the corner and a large chunk of curb maybe 6 feet long came flying up out of the ground fortunately hitting no one. Oh those were the days!!