View Single Post
Old 26-01-13, 21:28

Default Hup rebuild update

Hi All,

The weather here in the UK has been snowy and generally rubbish so ive been using it as an excuse to hibernate down the workshop and avoid doing all the jobs that i should be doing. Well ive been motoring along. The chassis that had been lengthened by 18" has been cut and rejoined, the front drive shaft has been shortened and a new drive shaft, that goes between the gearbox and the transfer box has been constructed.

The roof of the cab had been fabricated from bits of steel box section and wood, so that had to go. Actually when i measured it the cab was 3" wider at the top than it was at the bottom. When i removed the floor panels the reason was obvious, all the cross struts under the cab floor had been removed and of course there was no longer the rear bulkhead to keep it all square. I have cut out what remained of the strange shaped cross strut at the rear of the cab, fabricated a new one and welded it in. A new bulk head has been fabricated and that too is now in place.

My thoughts now have turned to the windscreen outer frame, this again had been replaced but was far from the original in both design and size. So here is one of many questions. The outer windscreen frame is a seperate unit from the rest of the front bulk head. The fabricated outer frame that i removed, was bolted in place via the two top door hinge bolts. There is no evidence that one had ever been welded on to the top of the bulkhead on either of the sides or the middle. So is this frame ment to be a seperate unit? Ive attached a picture of the rectangular holes that the outer sections go into.

Could i ask someone to check a dimension for me if thats possible. I need to know what the dimension is from the cab floor to the top of the pillar behind the drivers door, to where the roof would sit. I dont know if mine has been messed with and i would hate to finish things and find out that the roof was 1" lower than it should be. Has anyone got details of the windscreen opening bosses, the ones that are attached to the outer frame two on the middle pillar and one on each outer post. And
Lastly if anyone could add some dimensions to my sketch i would be really gratefull.

Regards,

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00734.jpg   DSC00736.jpg   DSC00752.jpg   DSC00757.jpg   DSC00735.jpg