View Single Post
Old 10-03-05, 05:18

Default Regina Rifles - 6 June 1944

An idea prompted by a thread Mark Tonner (and perhaps some others here) contributed to over on the Canuck site a couple of weeks ago. This was related to information on a particular LSI that was involved in the landings, and Mark had a fair amount of information on the vessel and others associated, the units they carried, etc.

I'd be interested in any similar information related to the Reginas on D-Day. My objective would be to tie this to a list of those who disembarked on 6 June, compiled from Part II Orders in the War Diary. My original idea had been to simply compile a 'roster' of those who landed on D-Day, and perhaps speculate on which Coys the different groups might belong to based on a sampling of names. If I could expand that a bit to identify particular vessels, sub-units within the larger groups (Support Coy elements and the like), I think that would be valuable. In theory at least, it should be possible to match up the numbers embarked to better guess at who was who. I have some numbers based on planning documents, but they don't mention specific elements and I don't have confidence that I've seen the 'final' documents rather than one of the many iterations of revised plans. I presume that those embarked on a particular day are part of a distinct group boarded together, rather than a few men trickling onto a variety of vessels. I hope that is not a bad assumption.

Information I have as follows:

Embarked 1 June: 11 Ofc, 156 OR's (I guess C Coy)
Embarked 2 June: 6 Ofc, 194 OR's (I guess B Coy)
Embarked 3 June: 17 Ofc, 367 OR's (I guess D and A Coys)
Embarked 4 June: 2 Ofc, 5 OR's (this includes the CO)

Those numbers look about right, accounting for a small number who would have been landed on subsequent days.

Any information or ideas appreciated.