View Single Post
Old 17-11-21, 17:47
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
I also remember Save More by Moss Park and King Saul on Queen Street West. I used to be able to make a day-trip of hitting all of the downtown surplus stores by taking the Voyageur Bus to and from Ottawa. It would be a long day, but worth the time.

I even recall the days when Ottawa had three militaria stores! John's War Surplus in Pembroke was also a pretty good place to find stuff.
Fleshing out the surplus stores in yesterday Toronto was the one on the south side of King Street (Queen Street?) just east of Bathurst, King Sol's maybe? Upstairs was a treasure trove of 19 set parts and even the first ever No.19 Amplified set I'd run across...it confused the heck out of me. The problem was you needed to go to the store when the boss wasn't there so the skinny guy would let you at it. To this day I figure he was pocketing the cash we gave him.

There was also another one on the other side of Yonge near Parliament that had Irving parachute harnesses, Oliver and 1903 Pattern leather bandoleers and once, a Dalton dead reckoning computer.