View Single Post
Old 10-02-19, 01:25

Default Update on Tony - his words not mine

Holy shit, I'm finally back in. I've had a whole heap of computer problems, and local wifi problems, and when I tried to respond to your message and found I wasn't able to get in, I just gave up trying after doing everything I could think of. In the end, Hanno sent me a message with password reset, but it wasn't changing anything for the better. He suggested I delete cookies and clear saved passwords. Didn't make any difference, BUT in desperation I did one thing not yet tried, ticked the 'remember me' box near next to username. Unless it's a tremendous coincidence, THAT made the difference. Still don't know why.

Have not been to MLU for nearly two years. I have been quite demoralised, being constantly going backward and forth to a local hospital, at least every 3 months. Sometimes every 2 - 6 weeks, in the early stages. When I say 'local', I mean the nearest one that still offers urology & oncology. It is a 340km round trip. Had a 6 week course of treatment that has kept me from requiring surgery. I'm still required to have 6 monthly reviews and tests, but it's better than radical surgery. Well, it is for the time being.

I have done absolutely nothing on the CMP or the 25pr. Not one thing. No motivation for it, and no stamina for heavy work. I have been slowly working on an old land rover that belonged to my Wife's late father, and as you would expect, I've given it a retro military look, which is not yet completed. Once again, it's taking me a long time to do very little.

My Wife and I have made a conscious decision to enjoy ourselves, and have taken some vacation time over past year or so. Last trip was to New Zealand, where I discovered an intolerence to constant bus travel!

Bryce has completed his mechanical engineering course, and is now fully qualified. Has been for around a year now. He is based at Amberley, and is only a 3 hour drive away, so we see him much more than when he was in Victoria.

My elderly Mother took ill in January, 2018, and had to go into permanent aged care placement at that time. She did not take to it well, and virtually sat in her room all day, doing very little. Despite opportunities for more meaningful days, she would not oblige. In September, Mums health changed dramatically. Over a period of a week, she declined rapidly, and tests confirmed she had a major heart attack that left her with very little heart function. Her GP contacted me at home, immediately after he read the test results, and I asked him to not tell anyone that same night, and I would tell Mum and the staff the following morning. The evening tbe results were discovered, was September 26th. That was Mums birthday. I didn't want her to hear such diabolical news on her birthday. I discussed it all with her the day after. Mum said she wasn't at all upset or scared about dying. Since my Brother passed away in 2013, Mums life had been joyless and empty. She said she would be glad!
not to feel so distraught any longer, and on 25th October her misery ended when she passed away at 0800hrs. I was off work that week, and would normally have been at work by that time. As it was, I got the message from my sister. We had been taking turns staying with Mum and it was my sisters shift. Mum wanted to be buried with my Brothers ashes, and after discussion, she extended that request to Dad as well. It took some time critical actions, but I managed to have Dads ashes removed from the memorial wall at the Redcliffe cemetery and got them to the funeral home in time for Mums burial. So on the day of Mums funeral, virtually all my family were buried together.

Well, that's about all the news for now. When I am able to carry on with the projects I will get back to MLU again, but for now I am spending very much less time with technology, and more with family, out and about. As I indicated in the first part of this message, there have been huge problems with technology here, including loss of the vast portion of my files, including photos and documents, when a computer went west without warning. Backup was corrupt. Still, on the greater scheme of things, it's not an earth changing event.

Bye for now, and please pass my best wishes to any other members who may wish to know.

Tony B.