View Single Post
Old 31-01-17, 19:24
Tony Baker

Yeah, I think that's a good idea, Russ. I'll find something suitable today, with any luck.
Today is when I take Mother grocery shopping, so I only have whatever time is left after that to go looking for my stuff. I'm hoping to seal the inside of the repair by applying whatever I use to fill that space. I had an idea in my sleep last night. I want to squish a kneedable epoxy down into the very lower portion of the repair. Ideally, that will start to come through the several holes that couldn't take a weld. Then I can really lather a fibreglass resin and Chopped Strand mat into the upper 3/4 of the space. Wouldn't expect to get both jobs done today, but you never know!

Thanks Rob, it is satisfying to bring something back from knackered, so to speak. I'm trying to find the two little bolts that join the pieces seen below. Do you by any chance have any of these available, or know what size they are?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170201_035121-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	88338
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170201_035109-resized-1024.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	88339
Yesterday I bought the correct size bolt for the main shaft, that holds everything together at pointy end of the cone. Fortunately we have a real good bolt shop in town, and after 10 minutes of his searching around, without result, the bolt was discovered. I expected it would be an imperial size, but it is a metric 9mm size. Don't remember what he said the thread pitch was, but it was either 1" or 1.25". It is a beautiful fit, so he found the right one, but I thought it interesting that thread pitch was given in imperial measurement, though bolt size was metric! I bought a handful, even though I only need one right now. History has taught me that if a size is used in one location, there's probably some used somewhere else too.

As much as i loathe some modern technology, i must admit there are some very useful applications available for tablet computers. For example, there are a range of applications (Sorry, can't bring myself to call them "Apps" in discussion) for sourcing bearings and seals. Timken have a good one, NTN one is OK also. Could be useful when trying to replace dodgy ones. I speak generally here, the bearings on my sight carrier are fine and will not need replacement.