View Single Post
Old 21-04-18, 06:33
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

Here is what I’ve been busy with over the last few days.

I fabricated a couple of pieces for the pushrods for the brake and clutch master cylinders, so I’ve now been able to mount the clutch and brake pedal assembly. The pushrod pieces aren’t my best work but they will do until if/when I source some new ones. I have some NOS return springs coming (thanks Philippe). I took some extra photos of the clutch and brake pedal assembly as I didn’t have a lot of photos of the layout. It is quite heavy and I had to use wooden blocks to hold this up while I bolted it in place. It is really a two man job to bolt it in but there isn’t room for two people in there!

The handbrake is now mounted. The mounting holes required 3/8” UNC bolts which had me fooled for a while. Most of the other stuff is UNF. The sector gear on the handbrake was pretty corroded and is not great but we’ll see how it goes.

I’ve fitted the steering box. I’ve used a grease and oil slurry in the steering box rather than just straight oil. The vehicle will be sitting around a lot and it might help prevent leaks. It has been sitting for a while now with no leaks so I have my fingers crossed.

I’ve done some touching up of the various mounting bolts in the front of the hull with the modeller’s paint but I still need to do a bit more.

I also starting routing the wiring for the instrument panel. I forgot to take the circuit diagram with me so I haven’t got this right yet and still have some work to do on it the next time I am in the workshop.

Next will be sorting out the hydraulic lines. I note in the parts manual that there are two different versions of the layout for the fuel primer pump. The version described as the ‘old primer installation’ has a fuel line from the fuel filter to the primer pump and a line from the primer pump to the fuel pump. The ‘new primer installation’ seems to have a third line for an engine setup with a vacuum pump. The old layout seems like the most straightforward way to set up the primer pump. Has anyone got any other thoughts?

I need to join a couple of pieces of brass braided conduit. What method do you guys use for that? I’ve heard of copper sheet being used to join pieces. What about the brass fittings on the end of these bits of conduit? Are these ‘sweated on’ to the braided conduit?

Does anyone recognise the single conduit with the fitting on the end of it in the photo? I’m told it is M8/M20 but just not sure what it is for.

I’m working on the markings etc to paint on the vehicle so am looking for some advice on that. I am talking to a couple of suppliers of paint stencil kits so I get the correct sized stars etc. I want the vehicle to have the markings of the US 86th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron Mechanised, 6th Armored Division. Can any of the experts on here advise the correct unit numbering? Presumably something like ‘6 Δ 86C’? What about Company/Troop numbering?
Attached Thumbnails
20180420_115517.jpg   20180420_150710.jpg   20180420_150950.jpg   20180420_151035.jpg   20180421_115426.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car