View Single Post
Old 30-04-18, 11:30
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

I’ve been continuing with the wiring on the M8 over the last week or so. I first had to spend some time vacuuming out the channels in the hull where the wiring and hydraulic lines go. It’s amazing how much they fill up with the grit from the blasting.

The instrument panel wiring is in now and the instrument wiring is connected to the rear terminal box. I’ve also been putting together the front wiring assembly. I didn’t have all of the original conduit so I’ve had to make a few pieces up and thanks to Willy for his guidance on these. I think what I’ve come up with is pretty close to correct. I am still needing a couple of the conduit unions for the brake light switch which I will keep an eye out for. The conduit I have for the compass is pretty worn so I will make up another piece for this.

I still need to connect the wires to the correct terminals on the headlight switch. Can anyone confirm what the different abbreviations on the headlight switch shown on the photo stand for?

Is this correct?

SS = Service Stop lights?
S = Service Head and Tail?
BS = Black out stop lights?
HT =
TT =
BHT = Black out head and tail lights?
B =

What do the others stand for? Is 'B' for battery? The circuit diagrams in the manual give terminal numbers on the headlight switch, but not the corresponding abbreviation above. There should be 6 different connections to the headlight switch so I''m keen to get this right first time.

The 12 volt power supply line to both sponsons for the radios is installed now along with the wiring in the junction box on the engine cross member. Can anyone confirm the wiring conduits that come out of this junction block? I have cables for ‘Gas’, ‘Oil’, ‘Temp’, ‘Solenoid’ and overhead filter to the coil. Is that correct? I am actually missing one of the wee plates as per the photo if anyone has a spare.

I’ve found that the conduit for the siren has to be in a very tight curl to get it to fit, so I will need to experiment further with that.

I’ve talked to the engineering guys who are doing the spark erosion on the two screws holding the recoil system onto the mantlet. They think the screws are too big for that and are looking at other options. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thanks to Seacon, I’ve finalised the Company and Troop markings so will get the stencils for those sorted out ASAP.

The hull is going to be moved in the workshop this week which will allow me better access to it and I hope to have the front axle and springs fitted in the next week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
20180427_130216.jpg   20180430_173637.jpg   20180428_121754.jpg   20180430_143332.jpg   20180430_172806.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car