Thread: GMH chevy ute
View Single Post
Old 29-07-14, 04:47
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default 1 Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
I think you meant to say 9th Aust Infantry Division, Rick, especially as the image was taken circa Nov 1942 - 6 Div were well home by then - and the combined unit/formation sign configuration is post-Jan 1942.

It's a 1 ton Chev. Left Australia in June 1941, and, as there is no disposal information recorded, was probably left in either North Africa or Ceylon.

Interesting cable 'eye' device on the front - similar in concept to the that fitted later to White M3A1 AOP vehicles.

Mike
I looked at buying one of these , it was up near Glenrowan, the guy ran a caravan park at Lake Mokoan . Anyway, the vehicle was in pieces , the chassis was in good shape , he had the motor and a few other bits . I actually paid a deposit but I never went back to pick up the bits ! You could clearly see the military paint on the bits he had .

The 1 tonners had the short running board , it ended just at the cab . The similar looking 15 cwt version, had the running board right up to the rear guards . BTW the wheels on these 1 tonners are 17 " . Reminds me I did buy another one . While staying at Cargo in NSW , 1981 ? I bought a complete ex army 1 tonner for $50 , in Orange. On the cowl it had "Vans 1 ton GS " and the dulux military paint codes were on the GMH tag ! The rear body had been replaced with a tray . I flat towed it to Cargo behind my 1946 dodge ute , with my brother in law steering the chevy ... the brakes still worked fine on the chev ! I never got around to picking it up, the locals vandelised it , pinching the axles and it ended up a mess .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 29-07-14 at 04:59.