View Single Post
Old 21-08-18, 05:01

Default Canvas Water Bag mounting.

Canvas water bag. The military version had a short length of rope stitched across the bottom which extended past each bottom corner, the running ends were tied to the small loops welded into the bottom corners of the frame to stop the bag 'flapping' too much in the frame. The loop can be just seen in the 'R55'/ Inter-with-bonnet-up image.

Canvas water bags of official issue had a D^D mark, and a ceramic spout with a cork with string retainer. They hung from the cross-rod at the top of the frame by a set of leather loops (three of four, from memory) with fasteners so they could be detached from the cross-rod. Only ever seen/had one.

The frame had a cross-rod at the top which had a washer welded at one end, and the other end a washer with split pin. Frame fabricated from flat strap and bolted directly to the door with three bolts.

Fitted to all manner of vehicles - utilities, vans, lorries and trucks. My '41 Ford 11Y had one, for example. Not sure of Dinger Belfield fitted it after he obtained the ute from me - others who have seen the vehicle can possibly enlighten me.

Mike