View Single Post
Old 05-03-13, 04:36

Default Hummmmm

I must admit the steering box looks like it fits there, looks the part and David has the same so it must be original.

Too bad the arch was torched but a bit of welding and grinding can fix that.

Now as to the floor wooden board spacers dried up and panels shifted it may have resulted in the modified pedals and steering tube stretch mark. In my opinion not so unusual ..... in fact almost every cab 11/12 I have do have some kind of cut modifications or the metal has been stretched and worn to new dimensions. I suspect that over the 70 odd years it has been around the wooden spacers and other fasteners inside oval bolt holes have allowed some movement.....sagging..... body twist..... to the point where the holes have either been enlarged by rubbing or the owner got tired of all the squeeking that the cut the holes larger. I have the same problem on my cab 11...... any major maintenance where they had to remove part of the body it probably never got assembled correctly again.... my fenders have a series of extra bolt holes which I am not welding until I figger out which ones to plug weld shut. Even the whole floor plate assembly, the two side floor panels and the larger cross piece under the seats can be moved about 5/8 to 3/4 inch from one side to the other and forward and back if all your bolts/screws are loosened.......and the frame holes worn big enough.

According to factory pictures the whole cab 11 was assembled on a stub frame jig than lifted as one piece unto the frame with all the sheet metal fully in place........ partly explains why trying to reassemble my cab on the frame one piece at a time is such a nightmare.....Phil's solution was to assemble it all loose.... shake it in place.... then tighten everything fast before you sneeze.

Ah the good old days before automated computer controlled welders on assembly line...

On the brake assembly they do look different....similar technology for the time but different..... brake drums maybe the same with a special adapter for the CMP model .

Bob
Canada