View Single Post
Old 19-12-05, 19:05
GM Fox I

Default Tell me again????

This gunplay is from today's Toronto Sun. The version in the Toronto Star has much less detail on the shooter and his previous encounters with the law. No media bias I'm sure...

Tell me again banning handguns is the solution to this sort of this?????

I'm not sure if I'm madder about dope dealers killing themselves or the courts. Result is the same, collectors MUST be the problem!!!.

Officers chasing ATM bandits narrowly escape harm as 'Weedman' allegedly fires point-blank
Two officers were shot at by one of two men who robbed a customer using this bank machine on King St., west of Yonge. (Mark O'Neill, Sun)
A year and two days after pleading guilty to weapons offences in a deal that saw a first-degree murder charge dropped, Sirvon Edwards is back in jail, accused of shooting at a Toronto cop during a downtown foot chase.
"The officer is very lucky he wasn't hit with this bullet. It turned out well for everybody but it just as easily could have turned ugly."
MacDonald said the cop and the shooter were a mere three metres apart and closing in when the shot was fired around 11:30 p.m. Saturday near King and Jordan Sts., just west of Yonge St.
A man had been getting cash from an ATM on King when he was robbed by two men, one of whom pushed a revolver in his face.
As the two robbers headed east on King, MacDonald said the victim spotted a cruising patrol car and flagged it down.
"They get out of the car and start chasing them right away," MacDonald said.
"The chase started, the shot went off and he was caught, within seconds."
After firing at the officer, the gunman dropped his weapon and was tackled. The second officer abandoned his pursuit of the other bandit -- who remains at large -- and helped to arrest the alleged gunman.
On Dec. 15, 2004, Edwards, 23, pleaded guilty in Newmarket court to four weapons offences after prosecutors agreed to drop a first-degree charge in the murder of Jesse Lamonday, 21.
He was sentenced to 50 months in jail but was given 38 months credit for time served, leaving a sentence of 12 months. It's not known if he was released earlier on parole or statutory release.
Lamonday was shot dead over $10 worth of dope, court was told last year.
Edwards, known as "the Weedman," had sold him the drugs on credit.
On May 11, 2003, Edwards and Berry both carried loaded handguns to Canada's Wonderland in Vaughan and confronted Lamonday. Berry shot him dead in front of his girlfriend.
In handing down the one-year sentence, Justice Ted Minden said Edwards had lived a life premised and dependent on crime.
"Sadly, it would appear the prospects of rehabilitation seem remote," Minden said.
Edwards is charged with armed robbery, pointing a firearm, two counts of using a firearm in an offence, two counts of possessing a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault with a weapon, attempted murder, aggravated assault, discharging a firearm, assault with intent to resist arrest, failing to comply with probation, possession of marijuana and four other weapons offences.