Thread: Comox
View Single Post
Old 26-09-16, 02:48

Default Comox Valley

Welcome to the Comox Valley... Courtenay, Cumberland and Comox

The Air Force Museum just outside the gate is a good place to start. They have a compound full of aircraft and a few military vehicles. One of the guys there that would be familiar with HMV in the area would be Rob Roy, who has posted here on MLU in the past. Some years ago he had a very nice deuce restoration and may know of others. My pile of salvage M37s would not exactly be what you would be looking for. If you have the time, check out the museum in the Comox Mall. (HMCS Alberni?) Also one of the members here (Roberta?) has a carrier and is involved with the displays from time to time. If you have a lot more time and interest, there is a good Military Museum in Nanaimo, a little over an hour's drive away. Further south in Victoria is the Ashton Armoury with their vehicle collection and the Canadian Scottish Museum at the Bay St, Armoury a bit over 3 hrs hard drive away. Outbound traffic is sometime outrageous in 'rush' hour, especially Fridays.

I'm not at home this week but will see if I can think of anything else. Hope someone else chimes in. Still lots to see around the area if you have the opportunity. Head up to Cumberland and hit the local museum to larn about the coal mining history of this area. Its 20 minutes up the road. Campbell River is about 30 minutes north and has a few sights around town. Their museum is pretty good and would give some local background, especially the Ripple Rock video in the theatre.

Have fun!