View Single Post
Old 13-04-19, 00:04

Although this thread is supposed to be a simple documentation of what I am doing with regards to restoring a Wireless Set No. 52, I have come to realize that it is also indirectly documenting things I learn about the 52-Set as I plod along. That is probably a good thing in that there seems to be a lot to discover. Typically details never discussed or illustrated in the manuals pop up and I suspect a lot of other 52-Set owners out there are unaware of them either.

Case in point this week. Reg Hodgson, in Edmonton, has started a restoration/clean up of his 52-Set and sent me the attached two photographs of what he discovered. Reg has had many years of military vehicle restoration work behind him and has developed an eye for detail. He is working on his Carrier No. 4 at the moment. His was a lucky one. No aggressive strip down of the original paint (wrinkle No. 2 Brown in this case), just a simple spray over of NATO Green.

When he removed the Coil, Aerial Tuning No. 2 mounting rails on the right hand side of his Carrier No. 4, he noticed a lettering shadow underneath the NATO Green. A little careful sanding later and the attached stencilled ID turned up sitting on top of the factory original wrinkle No. 2 Brown. This marking would be hard to spot with the Coil rails in place and utterly impossible to see once the Coil box was mounted on the side rails.

I was delighted Reg found this marking as I can now look for it and replicate it if necessary, if and when I find my own Carrier No. 4. It is also now referenced for anyone else in the future.

It was also nice to see this marking, as it is very similar to what I recall seeing once on a 52-Set Remote Receiver Case. The identifiers, of course, would be different for the Remote Receiver Case, but I am pretty sure now that marking was also centred on the side of the case, below the handle.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Carrier No. 4 B.jpg   WS No. 52 Carrier No. 4 C.jpg  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 13-04-19 at 00:33.