View Single Post
Old 15-09-19, 21:26
GM Fox I

I think there's a lot of local interpretation by our government friends. I recall having a frustrating conversation with one in Ontario a number of years ago who insisted all military vehicles were commercial and all the rules applying to commercial vehicles applied to them. Antique status was in addition to, and not instead of, commercial. What that meant in practice was antique status got you nothing as all the commercial rules (weight, lighting, inspection) prevailed. This same guy also told me, as an aside, that "those 6 wheel army boat vehicles will never get licenced on 'my' roads". He of course meant DUKWs and I didn't break the news to him some already were.

To answer you question however, I'm not aware of any distinction for military vehicles in Ontario. There may be 'point of sale' restrictions for some of the more recent surplus ones but that would have nothing to do with provincial legislation or regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
I have been asked by the folks in Quebec who are dealing with the SAAQ, to inquire about Military Vehicle inspection criteria across Canada in the various provinces/territories:

Are there any specific pieces of legislation or inspection criteria that apply to Military Vehcles and to Historic Military Vehicles?

The SAAQ has claimed that other provinces (the exact provinces not stated) have specific inspection criteria for Military vehicles.

FACT or Fiction:

Is this fact/ fiction and links to various legislation and criteria.

When military vehicles are registered as on road for regular use, is there a difference in the annual inspection critaria? For example, a large truck in Ontario requires an annual safety, whereas if registered as a Historic Vehicle, this annual inspection requirement is dropped.

Your thoughts?

Stuart