View Single Post
Old 09-08-20, 09:56

Hi Tony,
I was wondering about that piece. It wasn't painted, meaning it was fitted after the paint job or it was masked to stop paint clogging up machining on the fitting. It makes sense. Simple, effective and quick to mount/repair/use. Very MCP/CMP in character.
However, initially I looked at period photo's of the trucks, and later stowage setups which often involve large wooden or metal ammo chests bolted to the step. It didn't make sense that they would have to unbolt these boxes to get to the airline, then remount the boxes when they were finished.
I then put myself in their position and thought about the problem. What if they drilled a hole in the stowage/ammo box, fed the airline through the hole and attached to the connector and then bolted the box in place. They would then only have to open the box, take the airline out and engage the PTO to use it. It would be quicker and simpler, they would have the airline stowed where they need it (freeing up space else where), the airline would only take up a small area of the box allowing it to be filled with ammunition or other stowage.
The first photo show S1 Patrol in September 1942 ready to go. They all have a chest for 10 x 100round Vickers K gun drum magazines fitted on the step. So a fairly standard fit for this Patrol. If you did the above, drilled and fitted the airline in the box you would still have plenty of room for 9 drums of ammunition.
I really like that idea and have absolutely no evidence for it, apart from that it's easy to do and makes sense! Its exactly what I would do.
The other photo's show (when magnified) the fitting on trucks in the field and at the factory. The rhs is shown to show it wasn't fitted on both sides.

So I have a new theory/idea.

And what the hell is that flap all about!
Attached Thumbnails
Picture22.jpg   Picture21.jpg   Picture20.jpg   Picture19.jpg