View Single Post
Old 10-05-19, 23:38
MLU Administrator

Default Trooper 14259421 John Douglas Scott

The BBC WW2 People's War website hosts another relevant bit of information.

I have yet to match Trooper Scott to one of the two other Crabs which made it ashore but got swamped later. So it seems John Douglas Scott crewed either Sherman V Crab T-148656 or Sherman V Crab, DANDY DINMONT, Turret No.15.

Quote:
A Trooper's Story
Contributed by trooperscott
People in story: 14259421 Trooper Scott JD
Location of story: England & Normandy
Background to story: Army
Article ID: A4032037
Contributed on: 08 May 2005

Name:  2c554f98c84779c47bda95fd0fe15ae1a7a292e9.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  14.0 KB
Trooper 14259421John Douglas Scott

[snip]
November 1944
Operation Infatuate — the Invasion of Walcheren Island

My personal D-Day was November 1st, the invasion of Walcheran Island, which was defended by about 10,000 enemy personnel; army, navy and air force. We were loaded onto landing craft with other members of the 4th Commando Brigade and the 30th Armoured Brigade, and set off for the island. Seasickness and nerves were terrible. Support ships pounded the coastal guns and defences.

The island is below sea level and surrounded by a wall, which was defended by heavy guns, and underwater and beach obstacles. Mine fields, pillboxes with machine guns and flame throwers were positioned amongst the dunes. The RAF bombed the sea defences and breached the walls so that water covered low ground when the tide was in. Unfortunately, the civilians couldn’t be pre-warned about the raid so quite a number were caught in the flooding.

On the boat going over I met a lad named Bill Wilde who lived nearby and went to Bridge Road School in Coalville at the same time as I did. It was nice to see a familiar face at a time like this.

After landing on the beach, which came under heavy shelling, we had to breach the obstacles at the Westkapelle dyke, clear the mine fields and then give fire support to the Commandos assaulting the town. There was a lot of fierce fighting coming from the centre of the town, especially from around the church tower (used as an observation post by the Germans). Heavy tank fire from one of our Sherman’s put a stop to this. We then made our way to a place called Domburg where another fortified tower and concrete positions were giving strong resistance. Again, fire from a Sherman’s 75 mm gun neutralized this action. We stayed in Domburg for a few days on guard duty, but there was no trouble as the place was flooded most of the time due to the sea wall damage. Part of the squadron had gone ahead on to higher ground and we joined them later, but our tank was left behind — it got swamped, along with another when the high tide came in - maybe it's still there.

When the island had been taken we came back to a place called Flushing, where a second invasion force had landed at the same time as we did. From here Buffalo Amphibious Vehicles took us back to Ostend then by road to Blankenberg. A Victory Parade was held shortly after the capture and all those who took part in the invasion were on a march past.
[snip]