View Single Post
Old 16-09-14, 11:05
[user name reset]

Today I rubbed back most of the rear armour and found all the stencils for the Axe, Mattock, Handle and Shovel .

I had a look at the closeness of commercially available paints and the Light Stone looking for a somewhat near match. I have around 100 colour chips in the whitish department and the only thing that is vaguely close is colorbond Paperbark.

Nothing in the Australian Standards or the BS colours is near. It looks like they modern colours are too pure where my Tank is a muddy whitish yellow.

Next I suppose I will have to attempt to mix up something on site and do my own eye match. I have three sources where I can have a look at original specification chips but no way to take those chips to a dealer to have them matched. I have spoken to Dulux, CSIRO and Sydney Uni seeking access to archival material from the time..none of them have any . The Australian Standard ,posted here earlier in the thread, is made from Unobtainium.

The Factory applied British Dark Green is all over the rear of the Tank and in good shape where it is beneath the Light stone.

The American Stencil Blue is an exact match to that currently made in the US
by the Drab Olive supplier.

Looking at my photos The colour is only mostly like them it is different on account of how the camera deals with light. Same for colour cards held up against the job they come out blindingly white yet held up against the paint they look quite close to the eye.

I also found drips of Yellow paint between the light stone and the green. My guess is that the Turret Squadron and Troop numbers were yellow. My Stuart was A squadron 13th armoured.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2107b.jpg   DSCN2092b.jpg  

Last edited by Mrs Vampire; 16-09-14 at 11:19.