View Single Post
Old 16-01-08, 12:51
former Resident Historian

Default SM 2126

The left plate appears to be that intended for Holden assembly...note the Contract stamped, SM 2126. My records indicate that this was for a mixed order for Australian delivery C60S and F60L. Does the former make sense as I am only going by extraneous evidence, that is I have no written evidence.

In case no-one knows what I am talking about, as usual, "S/M", "SM" and "S.M." are abbreviations for "Supply Mechanical". This was a British Ministry of Supply Demand (Contract) system for overseas acquistions for armoured vehicles, apparently in the 1001 + series, wheeled vehicles and trailers, 2002+ and 6000+ say, spare parts, 3001+ I think. The British Treasury authorised payments to the DND in Ottawa through the High Commission in London for British, Indian and Dominion deliveries although it seems that the orders were placed by the British Purchasing Commission in Ottawa. As to payments for them, i.e. in respect of orders placed by London on behalf of Australia and NZ, that's a complicated kettle of fish! It seems that the War Office supplied India, and a different arrangement held sway with the Government of India.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 16-01-08 at 12:58.