View Single Post
Old 14-12-23, 23:29

Default CASES, Spares Contents

If you look at the Contents List for the Case, Spares in Post #1050, a couple of items are worth pointing out, particularly if you have not read through the manual for the 52-Set for a while.

The list shows three spares for the 813 Transmitting Tube are packed in the case, but two spares of this valve are normally what are kept on hand. The 813 is a very tall, heavy valve and even though it is clamped in place when installed in the Sender, this valve is not installed in the Sender at the factory to avoid damaging the valve. When the 52-Set arrives at its destination and is unpacked to go into operation, one of the three 813’s packed in the Spares Case is actually the operating valve and must be installed in the Sender, the remaining two becoming the spares. Replacements for those two are drawn from Supply thereafter, as needed.

This makes perfect sense to me now. When my Sender was shipped to me from Montreal, my friend Jacques bench tested the 813 in it and found it in perfect working order. It was left in the Sender when shipped and even though the Sender was surrounded by 4 inches of foam insulating sheet on all sides, the 813 arrived with an internal rattle in the upper crown of the glass envelope. Fortunately, I had a couple of NOS spares on hand so simply swapped one out for the damaged one.

You will notice also, that three different Bulbs are listed. Only two types will be supplied in any given Spares Case. The six WB/C1490’s are the standard bulbs used in all the indicator lamps on the 52-Set, the Lamp, Operator, No. C6 and the Wireless Remote Control Units. These are always part of the spares supplied.

The three WB/C00004’s will only be supplied if the 52-Set to which the Spares Case belongs was equipped with an Eveready Torch in its Tool Box. This is an inline, black adonized brass torch, Model Number as shown on the List.

The last three unmarked Bulbs (WB/C4687’s) will be packed if the related 52-Set was equipped with a green plastic, L-Head Torch, Model TL-122-B made by GITZ.

The one remaining mystery with this list is why the VAOS Stock Numbers were not provided for the last six items. If anyone is trying to identify these items today to complete a Case, Spares of their own, I have noted them below:

WB/C4706. LUGS, SLOTTED, LARGE
WB/C4707. LUGS, SLOTTED, SMALL
ZA/C4694. PLUGS, CONNECTING, No. 2
ZA/C4821. WASHERS, KEYED, No. 1
ZB/C1056. NUTS, WING, NO. 1
ZB/C4399. WASHERS, FLAT, 1/4”

David

Last edited by David Dunlop; 17-12-23 at 19:38. Reason: Addendum