View Single Post
Old 08-12-03, 16:02
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Reply

Hi Gordon ,

Yes , we have same problems here with 18 " tyres . They were very common at one point , as many of the 1940 - 41 MCP Fords and Chevs used by the army here used 18" split wheels . The 30 cwt class used 9.00 - 18's , the 3 ton class used 10.50-18's . These sizes are long out of production . Dukw owners here use the gamma goat tyres I think , but supply is very unreliable . A 1940 3 ton Ford owner near me uses old DUKW tyres on his truck , very cracked . The owner is a bit cracked too .

I have been told of a current Japanese brand of 7.50 - 18" tyres with a military tread . What tyres are on that NZ No.3 gun tractor Tony Smith posted ? they look like new tyres and they could be the Jap ones .

Wayne , thanks . For the compressor I need a manifold for the Waukesha engine , its cast in one piece . I also need the small casting that holds 4 of the valve lifters , It bolts to the main block, there are two of these normally fitted and one is missing . I may locate the bits over here so, stand by and I will let you know . I have manuals for the engine and compressor if anyone needs a copy .

As MAX pointed out, the hubs are the same as the Aust. semi trailer axle . I dont know why the second pic has different hubs . These compressors were trailered behind CMP's and used by the engineers in New Guinea .

The pic was taken in New Guinea . AWM pic > looks like a Jupiter GMH fire pump as well in the pic .

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
077406-new.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 08-12-03 at 16:08.