View Single Post
Old 02-08-14, 14:37
carrier mech

I was recently removing broken pieces of conduit from the Bren gun carrier elbows. I would stick a 1/4" or a 5/16 bolt into the short broken piece of conduit, and weld it in. One of the characteristics of a weld is that it will shrink as it cools. Once cool, I would screw out the broken piece of conduit. Worked every time. I accidentally welded a bolt onto a piece of brass (or possibly bronze), not realizing it was one of the end collars. It came out just as nicely as any of the steel ones.

The weld trick will also work for bearing races that are either stuck in a bore or else in a bore that you cannot hammer it out of. You can either do a series of short welds in and out, or you can do a weld all the way around the surface of the race. Once the weld cools, the race shrinks and you can remove it. WARNING: Do not try this on a bearing cone that is on a shaft as you will have the opposite effect of shrinking it to the shaft. For those, raw heat or careful use of the cutting torch is in order.