View Single Post
Old 03-08-14, 01:00
VMVC

Default Stud Extractors!

I agree with all the comments here regarding the use of stud extractors- virtually useless and downright likely to break off causing an even bigger problem. Most seem to be made of drill steel and we all know what happens to drills if you overload them. Perhaps in the past they were made of tougher steel before China became our main tool supplier.

Ron Bishop in his now outdated book, "Rebuilding The Famous Ford Flathead" seems to think they work but I wonder if he ever used one himself? He also says to run a tap through the stud threads in the block which should not be done, just chase the threads, and to get the cylinder block decked which current practice shuns do to thinning an already thin deck.

Having said all that, however, I only once saw an extractor work but it was used in conjunction with heat. A mate of mine removed a 1/4" broken screw from my steering column bracket. First he drilled the broken screw, screwed in the Easy-out, then heated around the screw hole in the bracket. When it was dull red, he was able to easily back out the broken screw with the Easy-out. So perhaps there is limited use of them in some cases- just not engine blocks!

Cheers,

Jacques Reed