View Single Post
Old 30-12-20, 17:03
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
The Fox is the one which was sold to Dirk Leegwater and then to Paul Visser, right?

What does "THIN ROOF HULL" and the triangle on the hull front denote? Is it a hull made from mild steel?

And where did the Otter end up?
The Fox in the photo is the one the Elliott's kept for their museum and went to the US. It has two front axles and, because they left the interior 'as-is', it was a wealth of information for my restoration. Paul's Fox was at the lower left, mine in the middle and the museum one on the right. One Otter was in the museum, the other went to a father/son team north of Montreal where it got a coat of post war gloss green paint and disappeared. I tried to look up the owners a few years ago without luck (there is an MLU post on this with pics).

The Fox in the yard were odd, and I think factory seconds. They were marked with welded on triangles and this one with THIN ROOF HULL (now ground off). All had early features (square gauges, no fire suppression, early turret crank) yet were at the end of the production run according to their manufacture dates.

Here are the locations of the Otters and Fox back then and the packing slip that came with them. My Fox is the top one, the Otter and Fox marked 'ours' went to the USA, Paul's is the third line and the other Otter is MIA.
Attached Thumbnails
colour.JPG   PackingSlip.jpg