View Single Post
Old 19-07-10, 03:29
Terry Warner

What a great way to pass an afternoon! Bob and Joyce entertained, 'watered', and fed probably 40 people, including a 3-yr old boy and my 9-yr old. There was a wonderous lineup of vehicles in the back pasture as old as 1942 and as new as a 1980's (and that is just Bob's old rusty ones!). Seriously, a dozen rolling Jeeps, a CMP, Iltis' and a M135 "Deuce and a half" makes quite the sight. The conversation was story telling and experience sharing, knowledge exchange and that strange feeling of realizing, 'we all have the green disease'.

When I left, Bob was hosting the hard core at the world famous Hammond Barn. As one guy said, 'Oh look there is an attic'. Which got the reply, 'But it is only one storey'. The term, shed full of shit, came to mind as I looked upon the truly workmanlike assembly of tools, materials, parts, 'stuff' and the usual things found in a country back shed.

The convoy was going to be piloted into Ottawa by a local Ford GPW and an Iltis. The two route criteria being roads that would tolerate a 40mph slinky of 15-odd vehicles, and maximum exposure to the public. Their last halt was planned for the National War Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I advised the roadmaster that no one would complain if their convoy parked blocking traffic to dismount to pay their respects. One of the privileges of honouring the past is to be allowed to be present with the symbols of comemoration.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!