View Single Post
Old 29-08-16, 22:15
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by things_green View Post
My Primary Battery Box appears very close to Daniels one.

I'm guessing the 'MPL/39' and 'GEC/40' are manufacturers and manufacturing dates?

The diagram is glued inside the lid and is, again, very similar.
Different manufacturer with a different draughtsman?

I'm just trying to clarify what I have here Chris?

Brent.
N.Z.
Oh, very nice.

GEC will be "General Electric Company" (the British, not the U.S. one), and that's the WS18 battery box. (/40 will be the production date, and coincides with the introduction of the WS18.)

It has a very early stores code because they only issued ZA numbers around 1940 and initially in alphabetical order, so you get things like Aerial Coupling Units with low numbers ('A' for WS1 ZA.0021, B for WS2 & WS9 ZA.0025) and stuff at the other end of the alphabet with high numbers, regardless of the original date of introduction (e.g. W.T. Sets MB/MC which were a WW1 tank set (morse only) got ZA.8470 - noted for "training use only").

It's interesting that Wendel's box has the wrong lid (almost certainly a workshop replacement for a damaged original using an old WS11 box as a parts donor), and also that the HT refill batteries are specified as 63 volt!
(Also his label shows US battery equivalents in places.)

I've not come across a 63 volt battery before, but they may have existed and been dropped at a later date in favour of a standard 60 volt one (used with the High Power version of Telephone Set 'F' and the WS17.

I must get my WS48 battery box out and photograph that.

Chris.
(I have the empty shells (no lids or fittings except for the valve socket) of a couple of WS18 battery boxes - they were converted to drawers by someone!)