Thread: FV603 Saracen
View Single Post
Old 23-04-18, 05:26
carrier mech

I have had a few dealings with the type of radar unit in question, the AN/MPQ501. I had a request from someone thru the chain of command wanting photos of the radar and of the APCs that had them mounted. I informed the requester that there was actually a AN/MPQ501 sitting about 40 feet form my desk, just outside the fire exit. I also drove one of the APCs that used to have the radar setup on it during my TQ3 course in Borden. I remembered it because the hatches were relocated.

He talked about coming out to the museum, but I pointed out to him that there is still a loose 501 sitting at the science and tech museum. I didn't know about the vehicle mounted one.

The 501 was touted as being fairly advanced when they first came out around 1957. The NRC had a few that they were trying to upgrade in the early to mid 60s. By the 70s, they were well past their prime, and eventually the radar units were removed from the carriers.

In the end, I was not able to help the fellow with any photos of the APC with the radar. He was especially interested n the topside. Does anyone here have any photos they would share?