Default Update on the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jo View Post
Hi Robert

Email sent. Thanks mate.

Cheers

Tony
Hi Guys

I have had another lovely chat with Noel Whiting regarding the "Boozers Committee" and have updated my report. I also found out Noel's wife Dorothy is now in a nursing home. I hope you enjoy the revised section on Noel Whiting. See below.

1st Photo Noel in Japan
2nd Photo Noel in 2013
3rd Photo 123 Transport Platoon at the Grave of Pvte Ronal Cyril Downey.

I received a phone call from Noel’s daughter regarding my letter and she put Noel on the phone. He said he received a bit of a shock when he saw the photograph and recognised his handwriting on the note.

We got into an informal conversation about his Army service, his time in Japan and the loss of so many mates who had succumbed to cancer. Noel confirmed the names on the note were genuine. I asked about the “Boozers Committee” and what he could remember. He laughed and said he couldn’t remember much as he was now 88 years old and his memory was not as good as it used to be. I asked if the committee was something formal. Noel said, from what he could remember a group of mates always drank at the same bar and from what he could remember after more than a few drinks, someone suggested they form a committee, someone suggested The “Boozers Committee” and all the names were placed on a 10 Yen note. He said from what he could remember the committee were just a bunch of mates who always drank together. I told him that was such a typical Australian serviceman thing to do.

I asked about some of the other names on the note that were still visible, Noel said, Ron Holden (deceased) was his Roommate. He lost contact with Clarke and Corfield (Deceased) some time ago. I asked Noel about his military service. He said that after he joined up he was posted to Bathurst NSW Army Barracks. 123 Transport Platoon was formed there as part of BCOF and from there they were deployed to Japan. They sailed on the HMAS Duntroon, the voyage took 29 days to sail to Japan and on the way the ship stopped to shelter at various islands due to a Tsunami warning and a very sick soldier.

Noel served in Japan from March 1946 to October 1947. They were stationed at a Field Transport Company in Kaitaichi Barracks 6 miles from Hiroshima. On the 14th March 1947 the barrack burned down. Driver. NX207052 Private; Ronald Cyril Downey died in the fire and 123 Transport Platoon were moved to a town called Hiro. Noel recalls they had a Sergeant. Col Lander who was a former Desert Rat of Tobruk, their O.C. was Captain. Doug Parbery, (deceased). Noel suggested the other names on the note were:- A. Avnel and B. Lobb. Private Ronald Downey was buried at the Yokohama War Cemetery.

Noel recalls that on one occasion, he and a couple of his mates. Pete Barlogue and Noel Watten decided to have their photos taken. They went into a gift shop, that had a photographic studio. Opposite the main gate of the Kaitaichi Barracks. As they waited to have their photographs taken, 4 young Japanese men came in and spoke to the people in the shop. (In Japanese). After the 4 men had left Noel asked the people in the shop if they had been threatened. They told the Aussies that if they served the Australian soldiers their shop would be burned down. Times were hard for the Japanese and he said that when he arrived in Japan, the people were starving and no way of making a living.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Noel_in_Japan.jpg   SAM_0299.jpg  
Attached Images