View Single Post
Old 30-05-05, 20:52

Hi Bartek,
I can only agree with you that much could have been done better and that Wehrmacht would have to pay a much higher price for its blitzkrieg.

It requires a thick book, I´m afraid, to treat all the reasons why the Polish Army failed to defend the country longer and bleed Wehrmacht white in the process.
Such a book would have to deal not only with strategic, tactical, in short - military issues but also issues of world politics, financial interests, sociology and more - you can continue yourself, I´m sure.

The main problem - that of the traditional prewar policy of balancing the two big neighbors- wasn´t effective once the two found together for a while.

I´m only happy that we, as Poles, don´t need to be ashamed of our defeat. We did better than Hitler and his HQ expected, yet - worse than our grandfathers´expectations.

In the end, it required half a civilized world to put the beast to death. Our people did all they possibly could have, both in September and later on.

Still, it´s healthy to review the past and learn from the mistakes, which, albeit maybe unavoidable, happened. Not to put blame on this or that, but just to be wiser in the future.