View Single Post
Old 26-03-10, 11:31
Richard Harrison

the floor is only made from 3 - 5mm plate beleive it or not so would not be an expensive job... and no one would be the wiser if it was replaced if you look on some of the castings you will get dates ie the gear lever casting that mounts to the floor, this item would rarely be changed during the carriers life the code may start with FMco then a two digit number ie on mine it is FMco42 (made by ford motor co 1942) it may assist with a rough date for the hull. looking at the front idler setup you have something a bit more special as they were changed out to the type i have (and most other people) the idlers you have on that hull were used on the Bren carriers and were only ever used on a small number of universal carriers (to use up the stocks) infact you may find a lot of the components within have different part numbers, or numbers which relate to being used in Brens rather than Univesal.......... have i sold you yet ?

the side armour will be a sinch to do in the scheme of things then you will have a majority genuine hull rather than a Mk2 with incorrect armour from a mk1 on Bogeys and wheels etc i have found are fairly available still so you could either borrow them from the remains of the Mk2 or preserve the mk2 (for later restoration wink wink) then collect bits for this rare Mk1

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).