View Single Post
Old 20-08-22, 12:42
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
I can’t say there is any one book that stands out above all the others. Some are more focused on the overall higher level planning, some are more about individual soldiers or specific units. There was a really good French only one done by Hemidal that was very heavy on pictures. David Okeef wrote one a few years ago proposing a new theory that the raid was a cover for a british enigma snatch plot. Then there is books about the British commandos part. Mark Zuelkhe wrote Tragedy at Dieppe. I found it gives a pretty good mix of overall strategy and individual soldier view points.

I think it really depends on what type you are looking for
I second David O'Keefe's work. The problem with the earliest books is their authors had limited sourcing, and felt they needed to tell a human story of brave regiments and tough combat, sent to the battle by an incompetent Mountbatten. It reinforced the victim myth. Those narratives prevailed for a long time. O'Keefe could have revisited all those, but chose to use newly declassified and previously well-hidden material to highlight the role of the commandos to capture the RADAR installations. The big raid was a distraction, which served a list of other purposes.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!