View Single Post
Old 17-06-21, 00:54
Junior Password Gnome

I hadn't seen this thread before!

Top left photo with the supply unit on top of the set and a different knob on the variometer is probably early prototyping work with a WS19 Mk.2.

Top right with the "bread bin" carrier may be a variant of the Sexton install that was being attempted on a universal carrier.

The last pair use a Mk.3 set on a variation (probably custom made) of the Carrier No.25. The power supply is _British_ (No.1 Mk.3) with (I think) modified keyhole slots in the top of the case for the retaining strap. It's got the mounting plates on the set carrier to mate with the table clamps (which have the bridge type shock absorbers) bolted to what I assume was the later WS19/WS29 table in the carrier. (That table is swappable with the one that has the Charging Set carrier fitted to it.) The table has a Batten 2-pt for power feed to the set, the 6-pt connector is on the front edge of the table, and the power cable to the batteries (6V 85AH) goes through the bulkhead into the front compartment and plugs into the batteries.

Top plate has a variometer on the left, with packing piece, bolted to the plate, then a No.10 aerial base (connected directly to the variometer), and finally a Control Unit No.2, connected to the set using the 'top' plug.

The rest of the connections:

The vehicle aerial base has a cable with a plug that fits the aerial socket on the No.10 base. The 12-pt harness cable and the 'B' set aerial cable pass through the trunking along the bulkhead (the 'B' set base is on the left of the vehicle, behind/on top of the bulkhead, and the harness cable goes into the front compartment for the Commander/Bren gunner's Control Unit No.1.

There's a custom made waterproof cover with zip front to protect the set - a lot better than the "drape a sheet over it" original installation.

The set is removable in one piece for use on the ground if necessary: unplug the 'B' set aerial, the drivers harness connector, and the power connector; release the table clamps, and the set can be pulled forward and lifted out. (If you're strong enough!) On the ground, use a new power cable, the spare pair of 85 Amp Hour batteries, and fit the whip (or a wire) aerial to the aerial base on the top plate. If you need the 'B' set, there's a clamp-on base and another aerial cable in the stowage.

That's my guess as to how they made it fit, anyway!

Best regards,
Chris.