Thread: Springs......
View Single Post
Old 21-07-04, 22:29

Default Holland here I come......

Got the word from a neighbouring machine shop...alledgedly chaper than Shore in town....will check that out tomorrow..

The shackle pins are originally machined while soft and hardened after which makes any further machining costly as the process has to be reversed and repeated...... and hollow pns may crack in the process. One shop has suggested using induction hardened stock and machine new pins.....induction hardening is only superficial...will stand up to wear and the core is soft enough to machine the grease passages and the thread for the grease nipple.....

..an as nipples go... they want $45 dollars per pin times 8 which in my mind is to much for the budget???

Am I being unreasonable or too cheap!!!! I may have to check our supplier in Holland to see what he has NOS.... or maybe Brian H........

One time consuming but my time is free (cheap) would be to take apart the other 3 CMP frames and pick out the best pins available.......if I find any.........

Now every spring set that I disassembled had one pin showing almost NO wear and the other two worn to the point that the grease grove was worn flat on one side/half.
But can't remember which one. The spring set up has one single pin at the leading edge of the spring pack and a shackle and two pins at the trailing end...... if memory serves me right the trailing edge has more movement and therefore shows more wear......... does my logic make sense???? would appreciate comments before I go fighting giant West Nile carrying muskeetoes.....it would be nice to remove only the "good" ones ....

...but being a warm day I will start with a cold beer first.....

Phruss-tray-tid.....
Canada