View Single Post
Old 30-10-05, 14:56
Derek Heuring

Default Re: DEAC

Quote:
Originally posted by peter simundson
Delete No. 1 not req'd.
Bolt face must be ground, or cut so it cannot pick up ammo.
ALL full auto parts must remain in firearm and all must be permanently destroyed by grinding and welding in place.
Correct on mags. originally they had to be welded in the weapon but this is not enforced.
The receiver has to be permanently welded closed.
Trigger parts cannot function but the bolt or slide can be moved back.
A hardened steel pin of minimum inside barrel dia. up to 1/2 inch must be installed in a hole drilled through the frame and barrel and into the other side of the barrel and welded in place with hardened rod.

Confusion reigns to this day!

It appears that there may regional discrepancies as to what constitutes a DEWAT. I purchased an Inglis Mk.1 Brengun at a firearms auction in Burnaby which came complete with a letter of examination from the RCMP firearms lab in Vancouver listing the modifications which made it a Dewat. The only alteration to the bolt was a hole drilled in the face so as to prevent the retention of a firing pin. This concurs with the info passed down to me as a Certified Firearm Instructor from the CPFO.
As a C.O.R.E. Examiner I received deactivated firearms from the Provincial Government to use as training aids. All had longitudinal slots milled into the chamber(s) which again was mandated by the CPFO.
It doesn't surprise me that there are descrepancies across Canada as to the legal requirements involving firearms. Just about every government official I have dealt with, from Kim Campbell on down has shown a staggering ignorance of the subject. Most government officials receive their position because of cronyism or political expediency, not because of expertise in the subject. Case in point: Back in the golden days of firearm ownership I used to take my M-14 which was converted to semi-auto only to the range where I competed in Fullbore competitions as well as in I.P.S.C. Three Gun matches. I also used my M-14 for hunting. Loaded with 150gr. expanding tip bullets, it was a handy, accurate, dependable rifle for Black bear and Deer. Well!, imagine my confusion when Kim Campbell informed me and the Canadian public that there are no "legitimate sporting purposes" for my rifle! HUH?

I repeat, "Man am I glad that I live in Texas!"