Thread: Low compression
View Single Post
Old 03-03-16, 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Removing the doghouse and the two angles is a little bit of work (moreso on a mk1 than a mk2), but once the dog house is off, working on the engine becomes a whole lot easier. I cannot imagine trying to do a valve job with the doghouse in place.

Lynn was mentioning stuck valves. I had several stuck on my flathead after it sat for a couple years. All the stuck valves were the ones right under the spark plug holes, so a little tapping with a small brass drift was able to seat them without any removal. I would tap it down, crank the engine, tap it down again, crank the engine....after 3 or 4 of these all but one got better. The last one actually fixed itself while sitting overnight....those self healing Fords.
Rob, Lynn, sorry, I hope I'm not coming off as a bit of an ungrateful dick here (I probably am ). The doghouse is not the problem, IMO. It's the angle iron supports. Can I remove the heads with them in place? The carrier owner has some parade obligations in the spring that preclude major surgery at this time. But checking the valves, gaskets, etc if I can just pop the heads off may be feasible.

Malcolm