View Single Post
Old 04-05-15, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Wheel balance would generally be less of a problem with big old M.Vs. than the likes of modern vehicles with smaller dia. wheels traveling at higher speeds.

In saying that, I do not disagree with any of the above.

John If you have measured correctly then something is definately wrong (1" difference in camber??) were you on level ground to start with?

Jack it up and see if you have any play in the vertical plane (grab the tyre top and bottom and try to wobble the wheel)
If there is any movement get someone else to apply the brakes and try it again
If the movement has gone, it is wheel bearing adjustment. If it is still there, it is in the king pins.
You also need to deal with the toe in as well. 3/8" will be scrubbing the hell out of your tyres with each wheel trying to go in different directions.

If you disconnect the drag link (steering arm end)and then swing the wheel asemblies through their steering arc (left and right) you may be able to pick up any roughness in the king pins.

If you do have to do king pins, keep in mind that king pin bearing preload is normally set without the knuckle seals fitted.
Hi Lynn,
I rechecked the camber with wheels on level ground, the figures decreased slightly on both side with the weight of the truck on them, but still a difference between left and right hand side.
With the wheels jacked up, I tried shaking wheels to see if any play. There was no perceptible movement, even with a lever under the wheel, so that implies to me that the bearings are not too loose. The wheels rotate freely too, so no reason for possible "grabbing" being the cause.
1944 BSA Folding Bicycle (Best "Para Bike" at War&Peace Show 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015);
Trailer, 10cwt, Water Lightweight, 100 gall;
Trailer, 10cwt, Cargo Lightweight 10cwt No1 MkII;
Trailer, 10cwt, Electrical Repair Mk.2; Ex-Airborne REME;
Trailer, 10cwt, Lightweight, Electric Welding Mk 2;
SOLD:1943 Chevrolet C60s Wrecker