Thread: Project PHOENIX
View Single Post
Old 23-09-03, 22:17
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Most of the half tracks did not have steering brakes and relied on the front wheels to turn. this made them dogs to manouver. Even the Landrover halftrack in the 80's had this problem which killed it. Even a manual brake for each track would help a lot. I was really surprised when I found out about this issue, as it seems so apparent. I don't know if the Germans came up with a solution. A dual action brake Master cylinder hooked to the brake lines would also work I think.
The half-track L/R was the Centaur (appropriately) using the Scorpion CVR(T) series track components and just three CVR(T) roadwheels; like all the half-tracks it too had the strong tendency to go straight on. Even 6WD Stalwarts will go straight on too with relatively minor encouragement on the right going, just ploughing two impressive furrows with the front wheels on full lock.

The German half-tracks (3/4 tracks really) had this sorted from day one from the Kettenkrad right through to the 18 ton Famo. The system is very similar to the UC, the steering drop-arm (or pitman arm for the US or near US) has an extended peg that rides in a slot just like the UC and beyond a few degrees of steering movement applies the appropriate brake via a strong spring.

The KK is entirely similar and the whole mechanism can be easily seen operating two tiny leaf springs connected to the brake cams; its all in the open directly in front of your feet!

It has always been a surprise the "Allied" vehicles didn't have such a relatively simple mechanism too.

Deriving something along these lines to operate the CMP rear axle handbrake rods individually does not seem to be too difficult, nor is a simple mechanism to have the handbrake operate the pair in unison. You may have to fiddle a bit by trial and error with the brake onset point and spring strength but it would make a world of difference.

Incidentally, the German half-tracks have track systems that are worthy of closer inspection and is well written up in a recent MVT "Windscreen"; the pad positions relative to the pins and track angles are carefully designed so the pad is laid on the ground minimising the skidding necessary as each link is rotated from the lead-in angle by the first roadwheel.

The links are supported on mating flat rubber surfaces around the sprocket and idlers making for smooth and near silent running, plus the sprocket drives with rollers into the track horns rather than plain teeth which together with the sealed needle roller bearings in each track pin afford quite incredible track life.

R.