View Single Post
Old 15-12-12, 05:03

Default M135CDN at BATUS

I was a safety officer at BATUS for the very first two battle groups. The M135s we were using then indeed had UK type number plates (hand sprayed if I remember rightly) and they were still in OD or whatever the Canadians were using at the time. We understood that they had come from the Canadian Armed Forces.

We happily drove right hand drive Landrovers around the local (and not so local) roads which caused children idly looking out of the back windows of cars to do a double take when they realised the steering wheel was on the wrong side, but later we were ticked off when it was explained that those vehicles were only supposed to be used on the ranges.

The other excitement occurred at the end of, I think, the second battle run, when virtually all of the armoured squadron managed to bog their Chieftains in a slough near the final objective. One of the only two British Centurion ARVs in the western hemisphere went to the rescue, and got bogged too. The one remaining ARV kept well back out of the mud and managed to rescue its mate, whereupon they eventually managed to drag the tanks out too.

Chris