Thread: Low compression
View Single Post
Old 03-03-16, 06:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Have you thought about a blown head gasket? (between two adjacent cylinders?)
Lynn, no leakage heard with mechanics stethoscope at the plug holes of adjacent cylinders during leak-down test, so no, I don't think it's the head gasket. (Even if it is, I still need to remove heads.)

Quote:
A compression test indicated a low or no compression?
Worst two cylinders, #6, and #7, were 30 psi. Then #2 and 3 at 50 psi. #1, 4, 5, and 8 were 90-95 psi. Oil rings are good. No smoke, and no carbon on plugs or valve/head visible through plug hole.

Quote:
You then repeated the test with a little oil in the cylinders to seal the rings?
I added oil to #7 and no change, still 30psi. So not rings, at least for that cylinder. I'm thinking, pull the intake manifold and heads and check bores, valves, guides, seats, head gaskets. Maybe I can get a decent amount of compression back without pulling the engine. IF I can get the heads off with the engine in place. Then it's a winter project to pull engine.

Quote:
Before you do any more can you give us a bit of a back ground?
If the rings are stuck (or a valve) because the engine has sat a long time, then they might free up with use.
If you know the history and the engine has become tired you might end up with a big job on your hands.
The carrier was running OK last summer and fall in parades and displays. It started and ran OK just before I did the compression test two days ago, even with horrible compression on 4 of 8 cylinders. I put that down to the high inertia of the massive rotating assembly on these old engines carrying the crank through the weak firing cylinders without noticeably slowing down.
This carrier is in very nice, restored condition and the engine was supposed to have been rebuilt. Looks like it wasn't.

Quote:
Going back to the start of my circle, If you remove the whole cover, it will give you reasonable access to do the job , along with that it gives you the opportunity to tidy up other areas that might need dealing to. Valves that have not been out for a while can be hard to remove, so you will need all the room to do a good job. At the very least you need some room to just clean up the block face, for a new gasket. This is hard enough working around the studs, without all the other stuff being in the way.
Have I convinced you yet?
Tell us a bit more.
There's plenty of room to get access to the block decks and valves IF I can get the heads off with the angle iron supports in place. That's the big question I have.

Malcolm